Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Annuity Alternatives

On the one hand you have what has been shown to work, meaning it supplies you with retirement income: The fixed-indexed annuity. On the other hand you have new products being engineered by brokerages because what they have always said would work, didn't... umm... well... work. Now I am more about the deeper historical data than I am the recent trends, but I have to point this out since I made mention of it in my last post: FIAs are growing in popularity because they make sense. They just do. There has been, to say the least, an explosive increase in consumer interest of fixed-indexed annuities.

Now I had planned on providing a boring old statistical comparison of CDs and FIAs over the last twenty years, but during the last week I noticed a lot more rhetorical traffic around "annuity alternatives." I think now is a good time to stop and put a few volleys back in the serving court where they belong. What I mean is this: don't listen to the crazy talk.

Yep there it is again. This time, it is coming from the engineers of doom themselves. The very ones who helped you lose your money are peddling "safer" products.

Where were these products last year, when the drunk-drivers owned the road? Why is their advice now worthwhile and worth another whirl? That was a rhetorical question. Not for nothing, the hangovers own the road today and they kept their licenses. Lesson: drive carefully.

Alright, I've gone overboard. For one thing, if there is a mutual fund company I would recommend, it goes by the name Vanguard. In my opinion, the class of the industry. I don't mean to bad-mouth this organization because their practices, to my knowledge, are certainly not representative of the bad behavior of the industry in the horribleness that ensued last year. That being said, I don't recommend mutual fund companies. I don't like the risk. I want a boat in retirement. It doesn't need to be ninety feet long anymore if ninety feet means it could easily be particle board in the surf, depending on the seas.

I have no trust in the market or those that play it. I want guarantees. I don't want alternatives to guarantees. I lost a lot of bank last year on the advice of securities experts. I'll take my pension, thank you. I created my own pension with a Safe Money representative. It'll be there when I get there (retirement). I will lose nothing, regardless of another tanking market. My money is safe. The alternative to safe money is called gambling.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is the most level-headed observation I have ever read

    ReplyDelete